Monday, July 20, 2009

Viruses

Boy, have I had a tough day. Yesterday I worked on my next slide show for primary---I worked from 9AM to 12:30PM and then from 7PM to 9PM. That last two hours I just needed to find 11 pictures for the slides. I found all the pictures I needed on the lds.org website under support materials---in the Church History Stories books. I still needed two, though. I looked at the regular places where I search but found nothing appropriate. I decided to check out the clip-art links section on sugardoodle. That was a mistake (at least I think that's where I met with my nemesis). Somehow I got a virus that I couldn't get rid of. It was a program trying to get me to sign up for anti-virus software, and it wouldn't leave me alone. It would send up a warning balloon every 5 minutes or less that my files were being attacked by a virus, then a window would open that said I needed to download software to get rid of the virus--immediately. This went on from about 7:30 until this evening at 9:00. I sent Wyatt an e-mail explaining my problem and asked him to call when he had time. He sent an e-mail suggesting a free software program. I tried it, but this virus wouldn't let me install it correctly. Dad had me try a new freeware version that he uses on his machine, but the virus stopped it as well. I struggled with it all day and finally I asked Kevin Winn if he could help me. He has a freeware anti-virus that he uses. He came over and stayed with it until it was fixed.

I'm so thankful for the time he spent. I was really worried that I would have trouble using my computer----and I need to use it for my coursework now and especially while I'm gone to Utah. I also have to take a test next week and I would be sunk without it---or at the least, things would be difficult. Things seem to be working much better now. There is still something wrong with the googlebar, but there aren't any unsolicited windows popping up all over the place!

I went to Mansfield this morning and picked up Grayson and Luke. They are staying with us while Hayley gets things packed. They'll be here today and tomorrow. They are a couple of fun little boys. I love to listen to and watch them play with each other. It reminds me of when my children were little and playing games and make believe together. Grayson is so animated. He really gets excited and his excitement ignites little sparks in Luke. It's so much fun. There were just a couple of times that Grayson got his feelings hurt, or Luke played a little bit too rough. In all, it was a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment