Wednesday, March 10, 2010

SMART board

Today I used the SMART board for a third grade "think tank" lesson on numbers. It's so fun, and the kids were thrilled to be able to touch the board and make it work. I projected an interactive hundreds board on the SMART board. I gave the students 4 clues---they tapped the numbers on the hundreds chart that would not fit the pattern---this caused a colored splotch to appear over the number and a small explosion sound---they loved it. I will do this with two other third grade classes on Friday only this time we'll tap the numbers that fit the clues, I think that will be more logical for them.

Our principal purchased two SMART boards for our school last fall. They are amazing. You project your computer screen onto the SMART board and it becomes interactive. It looks like a whiteboard, but it plugs in to the computer. You don't have to use a mouse, your finger becomes the mouse. Anything that you can use from the Internet, can be utilized on the SMART board----kids can play games as a class, they can write or type on the SMART board, they can label pictures (and these can be saved as a document). It's just amazing. They now have SMART tables and SMART walls. Several teachers won district grants to purchase SMART boards for their classrooms.

The second grade is in my hallway. The second grade teachers and I used the SMART board for the first time this week. We are keeping it in my room and they just bring their kids over to work. If I have a class to teach when they need to use the SMART board, I'll just take my kids to their room to work. The second grade teachers are going to suggest that after the other boards arrive this one should be stored in my room for easy access for them and for third grade. I would LOVE that.

Someone sent me a video today that was created by middle school students. It was a rap about reading. My fifth graders have decided to take on the challenge of creating a rap song and then choreographing a music video to be performed by the whole fifth grade. If we can accomplish the rap song, I will be thrilled. Stay tuned.....

No comments:

Post a Comment